Global Climate Overview: Weather makes climate, but climate does NOT make weather
Climate is simply a name describing long term weather phenomena deemed by the World Meteorological Organisation, as a period of 30 years or longer. We believe this time is much too short, as there are a myriad of natural climatic cycles, including solar, atmospheric and oceanic, spanning significantly longer periods.
• Since 1659 (the Central England Temperature -CET) being the longest running temperature record in the world, just 360 years out of 4.6 billion years of weather on Earth
• Since 1979 we also have satellites monitoring of the atmosphere
• ARGO buoys were introduced into the oceans in 1999 to measure pressure, temperatures, salinity, acidity from 2,000ft down, up to the surface
• Studies of geological changes, where changes to different types of rocks and sediments, can broadly indicate the Earth's climate
• Proxies such as ice-cores, and tree-rings which are not completely accurate but can be an indication of past weather.
• Glacial studies, where receding glaciers reveal trees from hundreds or thousands of years ago indicate warmer periods of the past
• Writings from historical figures going back in history depicting broad scale descriptions of weather e.g. Samuel Pepys 1633-1703.
Following are just some examples of statements from the IPCC climate scientists:
• The global temperature will rise between 4.0 and 6.0 Deg C with a doubling of CO2
• There will be no sea ice left in the Arctic along with rapid melting of the Antarctic ice sheet will cause catastrophic sea level rise
• There will be greater frequency and more severe storms
• Similarly, greater frequency and more severe floods and greater frequency and more severe droughts
• Pollution will kill 40,000 people in the UK alone
• Globally, 1,000,000 species will become extinct because of climate change
• The UK was promised a Mediterranean climate
• Polar bears will become extinct, likewise puffins in the UK will become extinct
• Coral reefs will be beyond recovery after bleaching due to CO2 effect on ocean acidification
• In the UK "Children just aren't going to know what snow is", "snowfalls are a thing of the past"